Monday, December 27, 2010

Self Portrait

I recently wanted to experiment with portrait headshots using a technique of David Hobby's, in which you place the subject in front of a reflective surface in order to get a nice specular highlight around the subject's head.  His tutorial on this subject is here and post-workshop discussion on it here.

Lacking a willing subject, I did it as a self portrait:


The black cabinet above my computer desk has a nice finish for this type of portrait.  I was stuck using my 50mm lens.  A longer lens like an 85mm would have been much better as the 50mm looks a bit to wide-angle, but then I wouldn't have been able to fit in the frame (there's not much room in front of the cabinet).

I even shaved for the photo.  Don't you feel privileged?

No comments:

Post a Comment